Thursday, July 9, 2009

A nice surprise in the storage room

JT and I cleaned out our storage room in the barn last weekend. I finally unpacked my crystal wine glasses and china, which I have missed dearly these past 4 years. They'll come in handy during the holidays this year. We got rid of a lot of stuff, including 13 years of accumulated kid gear, baby books and really ugly shoes. The room is clean and well organized for now. Unexpectedly, during this project ,I found a box filled with my grandmother's belongings. She died over 15 years ago and some where along the way I ended up with this box. It contains her old bank statements, letters and cards she received from us (her family), and friends as well as wedding invitations and special announcements. I read a 25 year old letter from an old family friend of my mothers who sent my grandma a long letter from Australia detailing her trip and discussing her minor angst with her daughter and how her husband works too many hours. She ended her letter by telling my grandma how much she means to her. I never knew she cared so much for her. I read a valentines day card I sent to her when I was 18 and in my first year of college and a quick note from my sister talking about her excitement to have her first baby. ( Kirby is now 30.) There are letters from my sister in law with scribbles from her first son wishing my grandma a happy birthday. All of these are treasures. These are snapshots of our family history and testaments of our love for her. Amongst all of this random stuff, I also found a very beautiful, very old, red and tattered book that's falling apart at it's binding. It's entitled "The Gem Album" and it is a gem. It's like a journal or diary but not quite. The writings in the book are by various authors. The writings are so faded that it's hard to read but from what I can gather, they were written in the 1850's over a period of many years. It appears that the book was owned by a woman named Harriet Patterson who asked her friends to write about their fond feelings for her in this album. Here's an excerpt, " As I was looking over your album, and reading the many professions of love and esteem from it's pages to you from those that still enjoy your friendship,-and those you have known in times past and no doubt will long remember- as you in your leisure moments cast your eyes over the mementos they have left you. I , your humble friend....wish to leave a few lines...." Isn't that wonderful? Who writes like that anymore and with such extraordinarily beautiful penmanship? What a wonderful idea, to create such a book. I'm so curious to find out who this woman was and her connection to my grandmother. Can you imagine, randomly sending a book around to your friends asking them to write precious words about you? It's doubtful I would receive the same glowing responses as Mrs. Patterson, but still.... After many years, when you're old and gray and, God willing, you've lived a long life, you could sit in your rocker on the front porch and read the sweetest sentiments written by the people dearest to you. This book would be a priceless gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment