Saturday, July 10, 2010

A quote from my nephew Kirby

When Kirby was in Iraq in 2004 he wrote, " All I ask of people at home to realize is that whether or not you agree with the foreign policies that landed us in Iraq/Afghanistan in the first place, remain humble in the face of the sacrifices that are being made everyday. There are 19 & 20 year old men who sleep in holes, never quit and who brutally know how costly freedom from tryanny can be."
On July 5th, while on his 3rd deployment to a war zone, Kirby's vehicle was hit by an enemy bomb in Afghanistan, killing two men, critically injuring one and leaving Kirby and another soldier with serious injuries. It's with profound relief we're told that Kirby will fully recover from his wounds.
Through these brave men, I see the cost of this brutality and I am humbled by them. These soldiers have sacrificed so much for our country, a country with a leadership, I'm afraid, that seems more interested in politics than in winning this war. I wish the soldiers could all come home now.

1 comment: