Saturday, November 28, 2009

Hiking with the children


We had to navigate this big river - like Lewis and Clark.




Safety Man pointing out the perfect covering in case we get stranded in this area.


Joe's hiking shoes. If he decided to like hiking we'd have to buy the poor kid some boots. As it is, I think this will be the last path these clunkers will ever see.

The kids were home from school the Friday after Thanksgiving so with a little coercion Safety Man and I convinced them to join us on our weekly hike. In an ideal world my children would be thrilled to hike with us and be happy to enjoy the fresh, crisp air and all the wilderness has to offer. Unfortunately, this is not my world. (What IS the color of the sky in that world?) Lily complained throughout - " Are we almost done?" and Joe, to his credit, stated straightaway - "I'm going to have a good attitude." and he did, for the most part. It was hardly the natural enthusiasm I was hoping for but for a 13 year old boy who'd rather be tucked away at home playing Madden football on his Wii, I was pleased with him.
Safety Man is wearing bright yellow. He'll never be mistaken for a dear.

2 comments:

  1. My next book group read is Joan of Arc. Have you read The Help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark Twain's Joan of Arc is one of the best books I've read. I haven't read, The Help, but last Tuesday at Book Club we discussed our next group of books and it was recommended.

    ReplyDelete