Saturday, November 14, 2009

Safety Man and hiking

From here on, I will call my husband by his well earned moniker, Safety Man. I could write volumes on why this nick name is well earned and why he accepts it in the loving and endearing way it was given to him by me and the kids, but that will have to wait for another post. For now, trust me when I say that he believes you can never be too careful and danger is lurking everywhere.
Safety Man and I have started a routine of taking Friday hikes together. It is our great fortune to have trails all around us with easy access to quiet, solitary and stunningly beautiful walks where we enjoy the tall, mossy trees, low ferns and small, remote lakes. It would take a lifetime to exhaust them all but we plan to do our best even though we're pretty old to start such a daunting task.
On our first hike, we were walking less than 10 minutes when Safety Man asks me this serious question, "Would you know what to do if you were attacked by a tiger?" Okay, I have to admit that I have a very real fear of being eaten by a wild animal. Mostly, on my mind are cougars since they are the most likely predator I'd run into in these parts. Tiger?, not so much. Anyway, I respond, "No, I wouldn't know what to do if a tiger attacked." Safety Man explained how I should ram my arm down it's throat and bite it's nose. That would definitely stop the attack, he said. So, there you go. Walks with Safety Man can be very beneficial. I'm lucky to have him. After all, I will never know when a ravenous escapee from the local zoo may be tracking me, patiently waiting for the opportunity to pounce out from the wilderness and devour me.

No comments:

Post a Comment