Friday, February 13, 2009

On Valentines Day


The first representation of Saint Valentine appeared in the Nuremberg Chronicle, (1493); alongside the woodcut portrait of Valentine the text states that he was a Roman priest martyred during the reign of Claudius II, known as Claudius Gothicus. He was arrested and imprisoned upon being caught marrying Christian couples and otherwise aiding Christians who were at the time being persecuted by Claudius in Rome. Helping Christians at this time was considered a crime. Claudius took a liking to this prisoner -- until Valentinus tried to convert the Emperor -- whereupon this priest was condemned to death. He was beaten with clubs and stoned; when that didn't finish him, he was beheaded outside the Flaminian Gate. Various dates are given for the martyrdom or martyrdoms: 269, 270, or 273.

For more information about St Valentine go here: http://homepage.eircom.net/~seanjmurphy/irhismys/valentine.htm


There's not enough poetry in the world today.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach, when feeling out of sight. For the ends of being and ideal grace. I love thee to the level of everyday's most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.I love thee freely, as men strive for right. I love thee purely, as they turn from praise. I love thee with the passion put to use in my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith. I love thee with a love I seemed to lose with my lost saints, --I love thee with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life! -- and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Who, being loved, is poor? ~Oscar Wilde

A bell is no bell 'til you ring it, A song is no song 'til you sing it ,And love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay -Love isn’t love'til you give it away.~Oscar Hammerstein, Sound of Music, "You Are Sixteen "

One more:
You say you love me and you're thinking of me but you know you could be wrong. - Bob Dylan

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if that is the same Sean Murphy who is Andrew's professor at WWU? The one who attends Assumption? Love the Bob Dylan quote and you!

    ReplyDelete